Thursday, May 23, 2013

I Have Been Sadly Remiss

Last night I went to a concert at my church, and I realized yet again just how much God loves us, that He would undergo what he did, so that we wouldn't have to.  This has been said many times before, but it isn't any less true after the thousandth time than the first.  God has blessed me SO much this past year and I am so thankful that he loves me and cares about me even though I'm a sinner.  I praise Him with all my heart and soul and hope that when the race is done, Jesus will say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
-Miss Jane Bennet


Ever since I started reading blogs about period dramas, bonnet movies, and the like, I've noticed a lot about the Scarlet Pimpernel.  I wondered (forgive me!  I AM a devoted Leaguette now) what was so great about the guy.  Sure, he was sorta good-looking and his cravats were awesome, but so?  I was curious, so I checked out the book from the library.  I read it and found it good, but I didn't think it was anything special.  So I let it go for a few days.

Then I read it again, to see if maybe I'd missed something.  There were so many crazy fans of TSP; there must be something special in it.  Once I was halfway through it, though, I realized that I could get sequels free on my Kindle.  Of course, I immediately got them.  About halfway through The Elusive Pimpernel (the next book on my reading list) I realized that I was hooked.  The Scarlet Pimpernel had done it again and won my respect and admiration.  It was in that book that I realized that Sir Percy really was a noble character who has flaws.  In TSP, he'd seemed cold and distant to me, and not brilliant at all.  I honestly though he just did it because he was bored.  How wrong I was.  Lucky me for that. :P

Chauvelin was a PERFECT villain.  In fact, I liked (that is, I loved to hate) him better than Percy in the first book.  Now...I'm about 3/4 of the way through El Dorado, and Chauvelin is still a perfect villain, but Percy is a better hero.

Okay, I'm getting into ranting mode now...so I'd better stop while I'm ahead and rant in another post.
Sorry that this post is so brief, but I'm eager to get back to El Dorado!  I'll do another Sir Percy post soon!
Notes: These are getting to be a regular thing, aren't they?  Okay, here goes:  I will probably be watching TSP and the Emma Thompson version of S&S sometime soon, so watch out for at least two book reviews in the next couple weeks.  I'm making a blog button soon (I hope) so watch out for that.  I might do a post in the near future about Emma.  I'm sorry for the (almost) total lack of pictures in my posts so far.  I hope to remedy that soon!
As always, please leave a comment and tell me what you think.  I value all your input!  Really!
-Miss Jane Bennet



No comments: